Hope you enjoyed my summer of New Jersey, but now that it’s almost fall, it’s time to go back to the city. I love every season in New York City. Each season has something unique about it. These are the things I love about fall/autumn in New York City.
- Everyone’s back from summer vacation, including celebrities. I think this is one of the best times of year for celebrity sightings.
- The lecture circuit is open again with interesting talks at many different venues. (Yes, I am a nerd.)
- San Gennaro Festival in September–I love the ten-day festival in Little Italy and try to go as many times as I can. I like the Mass, procession, and of course, the food.
- New York state apples at the Union Square Greenmarket.
- Brooklyn Book Festival–A great place for literary-types like me to get our fix. So many great independent and small press publishers. I always find something interesting here.
- Mooncakes for Mid-Autumn Festival–I enjoy going to Chinatown to get mooncakes at the local bakeries.
- Columbus Day Parade–I have marched in the parade before. It is a great way to celebrate my Italian culture and share it with the world.
- Village Halloween parade–This is an event not to be missed. I have marched in the parade many times. It is a lot of fun to see the creative costumes and have a crazy night out in the Village.
- Leaves changing color at Central Park.
- Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade–OK, you have to do this parade at least once. Known for its giant balloons, the parade is a must-see, especially if you know someone who works along the parade route, like I did, and can watch it from the comfort (and warmth) of inside.
–Dina Di Maio