I love book stores–almost as much as I love bakeries. And I have some favorite ones in New York City. Here they are in no particular order:
- Amazon Books–Of course, I like Amazon books because I published my book through Amazon.
- Bonnie Slotnick Cookbooks–This is one of the coolest book stores in NYC. Bonnie sells only cookbooks and she has many classic cookbooks as well as antique cookbooks. She’s very friendly too and will help you find what you are looking for.
- Bluestockings–This is also a very cool book store for the radical. I liked and attended the feminist book club here.
- Rizzoli–The classic New York book store known for its art and fashion books. It also has a good newsstand of European magazines as well as foreign language books.
- Barnes and Noble–My original favorite NYC book store. I particularly like the Union Square location but also used to like the old Astor Place one too.
- The Strand–A NYC institution. Tons of books, especially hard-to-find ones and ones about NYC. I remember the days when you used to have to check your bags before you went through the turnstile here. Glad you don’t have to do that anymore.
- Idlewild–This is a book store for the global traveler and language lover. They have travel and language books, as well as language classes.
- Kinokuniya–This is a Japanese book store. I love the stationery department downstairs and also the Japanese craft books and cookbooks.
- Pauline Books and Media–This Catholic book store has a chapel for a calm escape from the city.
- NYU Book Store–I like to check out the book store at my alma mater. Great selection of scholarly books.
- Casa Magazines–OK, they have only magazines here, but it’s a great collection of foreign language magazines.
–Dina Di Maio